Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs terabyte drives & filesystems

2004-04-12 16:22:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs terabyte drives & filesystems
From: Kent.J.Monthei AT gsk DOT com (Kent.J.Monthei AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:22:50 -0400
--=_alternative 0070626B85256E74_=

I recently came across this Veritas TechNote which mentions support for 2
terabyte files / 32 terabyte filesystems:

TechNote ID: 249916 - Addendum to the VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) 3.5
Release Notes for Solaris. New feature in VxVM 3.5 is 32-Terabyte volume
support, link: http://support.veritas.com/docs/249916

We currently run NetBackup 4.5 FP3, which (we found out the hard way) has
a 1 terabyte-per-stream limit.

We installed an EMC SAN and several EVA SAN's last year, and now have
numerous multi-terabyte servers.  We had to enable multiple streams for
certain clients just to ensure NetBackup didn't keel over after pushing
the first terabyte.  Recently one group here started allocating individual
filesystems over 1 terabyte.  Just enabling multiple streams and using
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES isn't going to cut it much longer.

So, are any of the latest Veritas NetBackup releases going to be capable
of coping with the latest Veritas Volume Manager file/filesystem maxsizes
soon?

-rsvp, thanks

Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline
--=_alternative 0070626B85256E74_=

mentions support for 2 terabyte files / 32 terabyte filesystems:<br>
</tt></font>
to the VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) 3.5 Release Notes for Solaris. New
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249916</tt></font>
out the hard way) has a 1 terabyte-per-stream limit.</tt></font>
year, and now have numerous multi-terabyte servers. &nbsp;We had to enable
multiple streams for certain clients just to ensure NetBackup didn't keel
over after pushing the first terabyte. &nbsp;Recently one group here started
allocating individual filesystems over 1 terabyte. &nbsp;Just enabling
multiple streams and using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES isn't going to cut it much
longer.</tt></font>
going to be capable of coping with the latest Veritas Volume Manager
file/filesystem
maxsizes soon?<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0070626B85256E74_=--