Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netBackup 5.0 Questions

2004-04-12 15:22:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netBackup 5.0 Questions
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:22:59 -0500
On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 03:13:15PM -0400, Moses, Darby wrote:
> I'm in the same boat (On win2k).  I have no intention on going to 5.0
> until MP1 has been in production for a good six months.  I haven't see
> that killer new feature that would make me take the plunge until then.

I'm after several killer new features that are there, so we're taking
the plunge:
1.  Disk staging - stage the backups to disk before flushing to tape.
Great for incrementals that run forever, taking up a tape drive while
writing very little.
2.  Checkpoint/restart for those servers that take multiple days (I've
got a bunch of these with 500GB file systems with 10M files on them).
3.  Vault a box of tapes instead of individual tapes
4.  Fix the multiplex restore issues that got broken in FP6.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org