Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vol 1 #3086 - APTARE StorageConsole provides list of media going to expire in specific date range

2004-04-10 09:37:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vol 1 #3086 - APTARE StorageConsole provides list of media going to expire in specific date range
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:37:51 -0500
On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:16:44PM -0500, David Rock wrote:
> We are also evaluating Storage Console and so far it has been pretty
> nice. We had some issues with the install, but the folks at Aptare were
> very willing to work with us to get it going. There are a couple things
> that are functionality differences that aren't perfect out of the box,
> but the real money is in the Aptare staff. They have already patched two
> bugs we found during the eval, and we started that on Wednesday.

No arguments there!  We also tripped over a few minor bugs and they were
promptly patched.  I had requested a few features and at least one is
already there and another (a BIG one) will be coming soon after I
give them a PO.  That will benefit ALL StorageConsole customers.

> The biggest shortcoming for us is the difference in mentality on how to
> handle reporting. We were thinking in terms of defining reports to mail
> out on a schedule where the design philosophy is to have end users log
> in and generate the reports themselves on the fly. Not bad, just a
> different way of looking at it. This would be easier if there was
> integration into our company's Active Directory to help manage the
> accounts.

Ask them about the AD integration - it's on their todo list.

> The real winner is the realtime reporting dashboards. These are pretty
> comprehensive displays that can consolidate multiple environments into a
> single view, which minimizes the need for running several Netbackup
> displays at the same time.

The dashboards don't currently support restores, but those are coming.
They did add the catalog backups to the main dashboard though.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org