Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vol 1 #3086 - APTARE StorageConsole provides list of media going to expire in specific date range

2004-04-10 00:16:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vol 1 #3086 - APTARE StorageConsole provides list of media going to expire in specific date range
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:16:44 -0500
--DocE+STaALJfprDB

* Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org> [2004-04-09 18:07]:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:50:14AM -0500, Major, Rusty wrote:
> > I'll throw in my two cents about Aptare.
> > It's an excellent product. Very nice, and has quite a few features.
> > The only caveat is that it's kinda pricey. However, you do get what you=
 pay for.
> > If your company has the money, I'd highly recommend it.
>=20
> FWIW, we're in the middle of an eval process right now.  We started out
> evaluating Bocada's BackupReport and then Aptare's StorageConsole.  The
> price was roughly comparable but the two have different pricing models,
> so it's quite possible that 1 could be cheaper for you but higher priced
> for me.
>=20
> StorageConsole is a *VERY* nice product to have.  The eval takes a
> half-hour or so to set up if your master server has Internet access -
> you can push information to Aptare's server (not backup data - just data
> about the backups!).  Work with it for a while and you'll wonder how you
> lived without it.

We are also evaluating Storage Console and so far it has been pretty
nice. We had some issues with the install, but the folks at Aptare were
very willing to work with us to get it going. There are a couple things
that are functionality differences that aren't perfect out of the box,
but the real money is in the Aptare staff. They have already patched two
bugs we found during the eval, and we started that on Wednesday.

The biggest shortcoming for us is the difference in mentality on how to
handle reporting. We were thinking in terms of defining reports to mail
out on a schedule where the design philosophy is to have end users log
in and generate the reports themselves on the fly. Not bad, just a
different way of looking at it. This would be easier if there was
integration into our company's Active Directory to help manage the
accounts.

The real winner is the realtime reporting dashboards. These are pretty
comprehensive displays that can consolidate multiple environments into a
single view, which minimizes the need for running several Netbackup
displays at the same time.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com