Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Increasing catalog backup throughput rates ?

2004-04-09 13:45:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Increasing catalog backup throughput rates ?
From: matt.beal AT lightsurf DOT com (Matt Beal)
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:45:55 -0700
I strongly recommend you use the "Multiple-Tape NetBackup Catalog
Backups" method described on page 181 of the 4.5 FP3 Sysadmin for Unix
guide.

'bpbackupdb' does not use the buffer sizes specified in
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS, rather defaulting to a
32k buffer, which really slows down LTO drives.

You'll still get a slow backup of the second pass, but it's a small
amount of data. The bulk of the catalog will write much, much faster.
This method increased my catalog backups to LTO-2 media from 3 MB/s to
60 MB/s.

matt