Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes

2004-03-25 08:36:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:36:40 -0500
Matt Beal wrote, during a discussion of Catalog sizes:

> ...switch to the two-stage catalog backup method. bpbackupdb does
> not make use of the NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
> settings, instead using a default blocksize of 32k, and ran WAY
> too slow to our LTO-2 drives. I'm now able to back up the catalog
> in less than an hour, with write speed peaks up to 105 MB/s.

   What's the "two-stage method" of backing up the Catalog?
   I have three groups of backups to run each night, and the automatic
Catalog job is starting to eat into the later backup windows! The
customers won't budge, so I'm looking into either shell-scripted Catalog
backups or whatever trick you're describing. :7)
   Thanks.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt