Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Extremely slow thruput from my Netware 5.1 SP6 Clients

2004-03-24 12:55:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Extremely slow thruput from my Netware 5.1 SP6 Clients
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:55:32 -0600
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:45:24AM -0600, Paul Boatman wrote:
> We are running NBU Datacenter 4.5_FP6 on a Solaris 8 master DLT7000
> drives. All NIC's are mandatory AUTO - AUTO campus wide.
>
> Historically, we are seeing less than 100kbps thruput from at least 2
> of the Netware servers we backup. They claim no NIC problems and no
> other network speed problems, which led me to concentrate on the
> netbackup config.

Unfortunately, it's quite likely that you *are* having network problems.
One relatively easy way to test this is to do FTP transfers between your
clients and your media servers.  If FTP throughput sucks, you've got
network issues.  SSH/Telnet typically transfer packets in small enough
pieces that mismatched duplex issues don't hurt you, but FTP and
NetBackup certainly will stress the network infrastructure.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org