Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] media server name change

2004-03-17 10:00:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] media server name change
From: cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu (Casey Feskens)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:00:31 -0800
Ed.Toner AT eu.nabgroup DOT com wrote:
> There's a veritas technote on decomissioning a media server (which is what
> you are doing I think).
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230047.htm
> I would set the new one up and then follow the decomission process to
> switch everything over. This avoids messing with names etc. If the media
> server name is moving to the new server then you only need to restore the
> media database (see catalog restore docs).
>
> Be careful with dns and cnames as Netbackup relies very heavily on reverse
> lookups and you can get problems if you are not very careful.

This is very helpful, though I'm not actually moving the software,
just changing the name of the host that it's on.  Do I still need to
go through the whole process of removing the robots, reinstalling the
software, etc?  Or should I be able to move the media, change the name,
then tell the master to look for a new media server at the new name?

Take care,

Casey