Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple clients per class/policy

2004-03-11 05:18:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple clients per class/policy
From: timothy.arnold AT becta.org DOT uk (Timothy Arnold)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:18:14 -0000
Hello Netbackup Guru's!

After asking for advice on policy management, various people suggested that I
create few policies and add lots of clients. I have organised my policies by
system type and network bandwidth (most of my servers are the same type on the
same network).

My Netbackup server has two interfaces, one 100mbit interface that connects to
segment 'A' and segment 'B' and another gigabit interface that connects to
segment 'C'.

My library is an L25 with two SDLT320s (they can run at 16 mb/s).

OK so when my clients backup from segment C they can run at full power
(provided that I can get the data off the disk). However since I have a 100mbit
interface, my clients on these segments can only run at 12mb/s.

My question is this. If I have multiple clients in a policy, will they take
over both drives, or will two different policies run at the same time taking
over one drive each? How could I ensure that gigabit backups will take priority
and then leave the slower backups till later?

I could potentially put the backup server on all three segments and have
gigabit to each but would be very insecure as the backup link would circumvent
the firewall. I guess I could put a media server on each segment and use the
same library (I guess I would need SSO?)

Thanks
Tim.

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com