Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas - Oracle - (W2K) Dell Server -> corruption on shutdown

2004-03-03 21:00:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas - Oracle - (W2K) Dell Server -> corruption on shutdown
From: oraclesupport-nospam AT shaw DOT ca (oraclesupport-nospam AT shaw DOT ca)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:00:22 -0700
Wondering if anyone else is having problems with this combination:

Veritas 4.5
Oracle 8.1.7.4.12 (over 2 mirrors and a raid 5)
W2K sp5
Dell Server 4400

Over the past month, we've had 3 fatal Oracle errors during the server
shutdown cycle (we have lots of servers / databases, so this is a
small percentage problem from that respect, but obviously a major
issue as we have to restore the databases from tape).

Windows event log identifies the "last shutdown was unexpected" error,
and Oracle was unable to perform a recovery after restart. From an
analysis of Oracle it appears that data is expected to be in the redo
logs, but isn't (ORA-00600 error). Contacting Oracle yielded very
little other than to confirm our analysis and indicating the error
didn't originate from Oracle itself.

My first thought was write-back was enabled on the controllers, but we
have it disabled across all our servers. It almost seems this is what
is going on - Oracle is told by the system that the data has been
written to the logs, but in fact is in cache. When the server doesn't
shutdown properly, the data in cache is gone and never gets written to
the Oracle logs.

Contacting Dell yielded nothing as well, other than pointing a finger
elsewhere.

So far we haven't been able to reproduce the problem on demand,
although we've tried several different scenarios.

If anyone has had similar issues, it'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Brad
(remove -nospam in address for direct email response)