Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] priority of a restore job

2004-03-03 18:43:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] priority of a restore job
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:43:20 -0700
Let's see if I get this right...if not I know Rob Worman will correct
me.

Restores today do not use the queue like backup jobs.  Therefore if you
submit a restore during your backup window it will not preempt but wait
as it were in the queue.  However, if a backup session completes (backup
session would be a series of backup jobs of similar characteristics such
as retention period, media type, etc.) and the tape drive is released,
the RESTORE job will take ownership even if there are other backup jobs
in the queue.  To the best of my knowledge (and I haven't checked 5.0
thoroughly yet) there is no way to prioritize your restores.

Now, if you are using 5.0 and you run into this condition you can use
CPR (check point restart) to pause the current backup jobs and perform
your critical restore.  After which you can use CPR to restart the
backup jobs.

Now having said all that...I think what I wrote is right ;-)

David A. Chapa * Technical Advisor, Technical Marketing * ADIC *
720.249.5836 * david.chapa AT adic DOT com

Pathlight VX - Integrated Disk-to-Tape Backup -
http://www.adic.com/gopathlightvx