Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] My restore is faster than my backup. Is it possible?

2004-03-02 20:48:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] My restore is faster than my backup. Is it possible?
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:48:13 -0800
I have observed similar results using LTO-1.

180GB, ten streams, going to two tape drives on the same media server. I
set MPX to 5 so it would use two drives.   The whole backup job finished
in less than 90 minutes.  I did a restore to a different sun client, and
selected all but about 700MB of OS files, and it took under 90 minutes
to put it back.  NB loaded both tapes, and put the data back in what
appeared to be one pass of the tapes.

I have also observed that a multi-streamed backup is much quicker at
finding files on tape, especially if the whole backup job includes
millions of files and hundreds of gigabytes.  While watching the logs, I
saw it request a tape to be positioned to a specific file instead of
scanning the tape sequentially and searching for the few files you need
restored.

-Jon