Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is this configuration possible?

2004-03-02 10:07:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is this configuration possible?
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:07:03 -0500
We are trying to set up NetBackup on a site-wide basis.  However, for
security reasons, we have some restrictions.  Here is what I have to do:

* I am running NBU Datacenter 4.5 FP5
* I have x number of tape drives to be shared across all media servers
using SSO.
* Media servers are organized in groups by function.
* There is a single master server.
* The master server does not currently have connectivity to all shared
drives, but eventually will.
* All media servers can see and communicate with the master server and
vice/versa.
* Media servers within a group can see and communicate with each other.
* Media servers in one group cannot see or communicate with media
servers in another group.  Opening up only NBU and MM ports between
groups is not an option, per security.

This sounds like I need to set up a master server for each group, with a
master-of-masters.  In this situation, which server is the DA host, and
which should be the scan host?  What are the consequences if the scan
host ends up being one of the media servers in one of the groups?

For a period of time, before the systems are deployed, the groups will
be able to communicate with each other.  If I set up NBU with a single
master server, will there be problems when the walls between the groups
go up?  What if I have to add additional groups at a later date?
--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf