Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 FP3 Force a restore to run from a specific Media server

2004-02-25 16:53:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 FP3 Force a restore to run from a specific Media server
From: Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org (Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:53:50 -0500
Configuration:
Servers
NBU 4.5 FP3
1 master,1 media, 2 SAN media  All Compaq G3,  2.4 GHz Xeon processor , 4 GB RAM
Windows 2k SP4 SAN attached via Emulex LP8000 HBA
STK L180 w/ 8 fiber attached drives

Netbackup Configuration:
Netbackup media server have 1 Storage unit
Each storage unit can spin 4 drives
A Storage Unit Group is configured with the storage units from both media
servers.

All policies point to this Storage Unit Group

The Storage Unit  associated w/ the Master has the highest priority within the
group.  Our load
almost never gets to the point where  jobs run on the secondary storage unit
within the group.

Situation:
I have to run several concurrent  restores:
1  Netware system w/  1.7 TB,  1.8 million files  100 full target client
4  Windows 2K systems  totaling 1 TB

A virus randomly deleted numerous files on all of these servers.  Because the
data loss is spread
out randomly, we cannot define exactly what needs to be restored and have
decided to run a full
restore of the effected volumes, selecting "do not restore if file exists".
Since most files were
not deleted the Netware  restore is generating an error for every file not
restored.   We started
the restore at 6PM  last night and calculate that it will be done after 9PM
tonight.  Since all the
backups ran from the same media server the default is to run all the restores
from the that server.

I want run the restores of our Windows 2K environment, from our second media
server. I know how to
configure the Media Host Override setting to accomplish this (host
properties\master server\general
server properties tab.)

My concern is what effect this setting will have on the existing restore now
running.   Veritas
support stated  that the Media Host Override redirection would only effect any
new backup jobs, not
any currently running, but suggested I test this first.  Since I am over
halfway through the
largest, and most high profile, restore I am nervous about changing any
configuration mid stream
that could  require me to start over.

My other concern is to be prepared for a situation  requiring the full recovery
of numerous systems
in the future I may need a configuration that takes better advantage of the
hardware I currently
have available.
I am thinking of removing the Storage Unit Group and manually load balancing
the backups and
restores between the 2 storage units.   Any suggestions appreciated.

Vincent Mase
Perot Systems
617 509 3355

The information contained in this email message and any attachments
may be privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended
addressee(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution
or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you
received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply and
delete the message without saving, copying or disclosing it.  Thank you.