Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-evaluating policies

2004-02-23 13:18:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-evaluating policies
From: timothy.arnold AT becta.org DOT uk (Timothy Arnold)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:18:18 -0000
Hi Netbackup Guru's!

I am about to embark on upgrading to Netbackup 5. I thought it might be a very
good time to re-evaluate our policy configurations and see if there is anyway
to improve the current system and make it more simple and easier to use. I
would like to ask a few questions to see what you guru's think.

Our configuration is fairly simple. About thirty Unix clients connecting to an
Sun L25. Four of the servers connect to a couple of A5000 arrays that host
application data.

With this in mind each system will have its own schedule for system backups
that run weekly and another schedule for application backups that run daily. We
have virtual IP addresses for applications so I use the virtual IP in its own
policy, so in affect I have three 'kinds' of policies.

So my first question is, can I consolidate the system backups into one policy?
Is this recommended? The systems will always have / and /var but not always
have /usr - will I need to split the policy dependent on which partitions I
have? This would reduce the number of polices from thirty to one!

The other question is relating to tape rotation. In NB3.4 figuring out which
tapes have been written to was a complete nightmare and I eventually wrote a
shell script to automatically figure out which tapes had been used and emailed
the operator which was fine, the only issue I had was that new tapes that have
been used in a volume pool got put back into the same volume pool and was
unavailable to the other pools unless you moved them using another script -
seams like a little bit of a fudge to me! Does anyone know if tape rotation has
been improved in NB5? If not, would anyone like to share any shell script with
me (as I am sure they are better than my badly written shell scripts)!

I would appreciate any feedback and would be very interested to hear how other
people have configured and maintained their Netbackup environment.

Thanks,

Timothy.

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com