Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FP3 to FP6 worth it?

2004-02-19 09:14:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FP3 to FP6 worth it?
From: Brent.R.Rohloff AT Dartmouth DOT EDU (Brent R. Rohloff)
Date: 19 Feb 2004 09:14:38 EST
--- "Smith, Kevin" wrote:
I have an opportunity to perform a Solaris FP3 to FP6 server upgrade this
weekend. I have a few questions..

1) Is it worth going to FP6 considering everything is working on my FP3
installation
2) What benefits does FP6 give me
3) Are FP3 clients [Including Oracle RMAN addons] fully supported by FP6 -
Obviously I cant upgrade all the clients at the same time as well!
4) Good / Bad experiences?
--- end of quote ---

Kevin,

Don't do it unless you have to.

I had to,
inorder to get support for large files ( over 2gb) in Linux.

But the upgrade totally wipes out your old configuration,
and it assumes you don't have paths to alternate locations for the catalog.

I then had to downgrade some older clients from FP6 to FP3,
 to get them to backup to my FP6 Solaris Master and Media servers.

Also, some of the message threads have said that
multiple versions of FP6 have been posted to the Veritas download site.
Even though they all said FP6.
So be sure you grab the latest.

Brent

Brent Rohloff