Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Keeping monthly/yearly "archives" of backups

2004-02-10 16:16:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Keeping monthly/yearly "archives" of backups
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:16:23 -0800 (PST)
> If you have two tapes drives and the tapes are not Multiplexed you could
> probably get away with using Solaris dd to copy the tape.

Since you're copying the tape label (and NBU won't know the difference
between the two), I don't see how multiplex or non-multiplexed makes any
difference.

You'd probably want something a little more powerful than dd, because
you want to copy the blocksizes used on the tape also.

Further, you'd have to hope that all the data from one tape will fit on
another tape.  That's not guaranteed on DLT and maybe other
technologies.  I don't know how LTO does it.