Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: NB Servers with 2 network interfaces

2004-02-10 13:43:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: NB Servers with 2 network interfaces
From: crhea AT mayo DOT edu (Cris Rhea)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:43:56 -0600 (CST)
> We also have quite a few interfaces on our backup server, and Cris's
> solution works well from the server perspective.  What I don't have as
> good a handle on is when both client and server have multiple interfaces
> and we want backups and restores to go through a secondary interface on
> both client and server.  I don't have a cookbook approach that always
> works, and for many boxes our group doesn't do the administration.  I
> usually end up with a combination of using REQUIRED_INTERFACE in the
> bp.conf, altnames entries so the restores work regardless of which
> interface the requests come through, /etc/hosts or DNS entries and
> client names for the specific interfaces.  But usually the approach is
> to keep trying different things until it works.  If someone has a
> cookbook/checklist they use for this, it would be majorly appreciated!
> Thanks....Gerrit

Depending on your environment (number of clients, who admins them, Unix or
Microsoft), one of the tricks to keep in the back pocket is to use
"host routes" to force interface selection between a client and the master/media
servers.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25