Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing Tapes

2004-02-05 10:52:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing Tapes
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:52:27 -0600
--=_alternative 0057330F86256E31_=

Hi,

There are advantages to multiplexing tapes(better speed) and disadvantages
(not being able to use tar or dd).

I'm wondering if the following scenario is possible using a single tape
drive.

Multiplex our Solaris and Win2k OS backups onto one tape.

Do not multiplex our database slices on to a single tape. Our db's are
large and thus don't encounter slower speeds. We can read them using tar
which is great for DR. We can use DD if we have a bad tape. We can

Is this possible without changing the multiplexing settings on the storage
unit?

Thanks,

Karl
--=_alternative 0057330F86256E31_=

tapes(better speed) and disadvantages (not being able to use tar or dd).</font>
is possible using a single tape drive.</font>
onto one tape.</font>
on to a single tape. Our db's are large and thus don't encounter slower
speeds. We can read them using tar which is great for DR. We can use DD
if we have a bad tape. We can </font>
multiplexing settings on the storage unit?</font>
--=_alternative 0057330F86256E31_=--