Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Verify..

2004-01-28 07:35:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Verify..
From: M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk (Ellwood, MW (Mike) )
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:35:23 -0000
FWIW, we don't (normally) verify our backups,
but immediately do a copy (bpduplicate) of the image just backed up
(only for our most important "production" backup).

If we've had errors, I've done a (bp)verify on occasions,
but since they seem to take almost as long as a copy,
I reverted to simply re-running the copy, then if it reads
the tape ok, at least I get my copy out of it, and the
knowledge that the backup was readable at some level.

As I have mentioned before, we'd been having read errors
recently (on both our LTO HP Ultrium 1 drives), and just
recently have had them both replaced. So far ok, although
I have some nagging doubts, i.e. is it likely that both
drives would develop errors within about 18 months of
life (I'd expect them to be much more robust).

If not drives, then media? But again, I'd expect
the Ultrium media to be more robust than e.g. DLT media
which we used to use, and we didn't see such a level
of errors in the corresponding life of the DLT media
(or drives).

I've been trying to find out what is the realistic
life expectancy of Ultrium 1 drives and media.
Most of what I can find on the web is either sales
oriented or theoretical expectations in White Papers, etc.

So if anyone has any real world experience to contribute
here, I'd be grateful.

Regards,
Mike Ellwood

(3.4GA on Solaris 5.8 with Sun-badged L20 robot, incorporating
HPUltrium 1 LTO drvies)