Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Installing client code from NB4.5FP6 CDROM...

2004-01-25 14:48:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Installing client code from NB4.5FP6 CDROM...
From: crhea AT mayo DOT edu (Cris Rhea)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:48:06 -0600 (CST)
> perhaps you aren't installing your clients the same way I am...
>
> if I do this on the master:
>
>    # install_client_files ftp <solaris-client> <username>
>
> and then I do this on <solaris-client>:
>
>    # sh /tmp/bp/bin/client_config
>
> There is no /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA to be found on <solaris-client>
>

> how do YOU install a new client?
>
> very interesting,  :-)
> rob

For the most part, I've always used the GUI (either X-based [xbpadm] or
now the Java one [jnbSA]) to do it...

- Enable rsh between the master and the client (only really needed for the
  first install).

- Go to an existing Policy (Class) and either add the client with "New"
  or point to the client and right-click "install software" if it's
  an existing client (This brings up another window that lets you
  start the software install and view the results).

- Doing it this way, NB basically uses rsh/rcp to copy the files over, then
  uses rsh to run the client_config script.

- You can then disable rsh access if you wish.

Doing it this way produces 5 dirs under /usr/openv on a Solaris client:

bin        java       lib        netbackup  var

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA is really a link to /usr/openv/java/jnbSA.

FYI- My master is a Sun/Solaris9 running NB DC 4.5FP6 (NO SSO option).

I've used your method when it wasn't convenient to do the rsh/rcp install
(i.e., firewall in the way, or client doesn't want me to change rsh/rcp
security - even for the duration of the install). I've never looked on
those clients to see if the other stuff was installed. I don't have any
of them since I upgraded to 4.5.

>From reading the install notes for the FP6 ISO, it's a normal
full-install-upgrade (just like when I upgraded from 3.4 -> 4.5). The
manual states that options 2 and 3 (install Java and install client software)
are only for clients that you couldn't use the network installs for.
Option 3 (install client software) also installs the Java stuff in
addition to the other stuff in /usr/openv/netbackup...

Since I'm trying to get the management stuff working from home,
I didn't want to try to do the normal network install across the
WAN link to my house (78.4MB across a 256Kb DSL link still sucks).

>From my desktop at work (Sun/Solaris9- installed as a client), I can
fire up jnbSA and control the master by just entering the name in the
Host section.  In a fast (10/100/1000 Ethernet) LAN environment, the Java
speed to run jnbSA on the master and display elsewhere isn't a big deal
(so I rarely bother to run it on my desktop).  Across a slow(er) WAN link,
it's painfully slow (to the point of being useless to me).

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25