Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup of the Oracle. Is SSO and media manager required?

2004-01-20 13:02:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup of the Oracle. Is SSO and media manager required?
From: stan AT podolski DOT org (Stan Podolski)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:02:47 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to understand. Is it true that you need SSO and Media
Manager in order to use RMAN on the Oracle. Assuming we have several
Oracle servers and we do not have vxfs and therefore can not use BLI. If
not, how it could be connected?

The NetBackup 4.5 for Oracle System Administrator's Guide for UNIX says:

    How Does NetBackup for Oracle on UNIX Work?
    Following are prerequisites for performing backups to tape:
     Linking with NetBackup and its Media Manager
     Generating unique file names
    NetBackup for Oracle on UNIX includes a library of functions that
    enable the Oracle
    Recovery Manager to use NetBackup and its Media Manager. To link
    with this library, see
    "Linking Oracle8 with NetBackup for Oracle on UNIX" on page 29.

It looks for me that Media Manager should reside on the same box

Thanks