Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 1 week retention periods

2004-01-07 16:09:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 1 week retention periods
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:09:54 -0500
Nick Lefebvre wrote, in part:

> I?ve just recently set up Netbackup 4.5 in a site. The client due to a
> lack of available tapes has decided to run their policy with a 1 week
> retention period.
>
> There is one policy with a full backup on the Friday, and a
> differential-inc on every other day.
>
> The full backups are on one tape.
>
> The differentials are appended on a daily basis onto one tape.
>
> My question relates to the differential backups. If you have a weeks
> worth of differential backups that are appended to the one tape with a
> 1 week retention period this tape should be available for use after
> one week. Once that tape becomes available and is overwritten with a
> differential backup for the new week what would happen to the
> differential backups that are appended at the end of the week??
>
> Would there be any way of recovering these jobs at the end of the week
> once the tape becomes available for new backups if a new differential
> backup is written to the tape??

I see Mark has kindly answered your question, so I'll head in a
different direction, since you offered "I?ve just recently set up
Netbackup 4.5 in a site".

I don't know why the client does backups, but does s/he realize the
risks s/he is placing on the production data with this setup? To start
with, if the Friday full backup starts and fails, then there exists no
full/base backup at all, and though you may have incrementals, those
have no base.

What will you do when there is a failure during the week, but can't do
the restore until after "Friday"?

Unless there's more to the story, I'd think a few more tape volumes are
needed for a minimal system.

Good luck and cheers, wayne