Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up very large Windows file systems

2003-12-26 09:51:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up very large Windows file systems
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:51:58 -0600
On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 09:05:13AM -0500, Tommy Wu wrote:
> Do you have a SSO licenses? If you do then make the Win2003 as a NBU
> media server since the SDLT connected to the SAN. You may try to
> increase to the network buffer sizes which decrease the numbers of echo?

We've tried it as a media server, and our experiences were not good -
we're actually able to get better and more consistent results with these
big systems connected to a Solaris media server via GigE.

I don't believe it's a network buffer size issue, since we get 10 times
the performance on a similar system that backs up larger files.  NBU
appears to not be able to get the data off of disk fast enough even
though the disk itself is fast (EMC Symmetrix).  It looks like a file
system traversal problem.