Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VSP leaving drives behind

2003-12-16 23:42:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VSP leaving drives behind
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:42:05 -0600
--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

* Mark Kilpatrick <mark.kilpatrick AT Redstor DOT com> [2003-12-16 11:27]:
>=20
> I have also seen this problem and we could only delete the snapshot drive=
s by rebooting the client. It VSP screws up a few times you can end up with=
 a number of snapshot drives on your disk and the disk space can fill up. M=
ore concerning is that this will only be discovered if you examine your dri=
ve for any *.vsp files!

We are still haveing the problem, and the testing I have done to get
around it is not encouraging. The only real fix for tempermental systems
has been to turn VSP off. Here is the rundown on what I have tried:

System's drives are:
C:\      4 Gig
E:\      8 Gig
F:\     36 Gig
G:\    373 Gig

There is a section on the G drive that is causing the backup to fail. I
was able to isolate it to a specific directory, so my filelist looks
like this:

NEW_STREAM
System_State:\
C:\
E:\
F:\
NEW_STREAM
G:\subdir1
G:\subdir2
NEW_STREAM
G:\problemdir

With VSP on using defaults, every job except the G:\problemdir completed
successfully. If I turn off VSP completely, ALL jobs complete
successfully. If I have VSP on, but exclude G within VSP, it still
creates the snapshot. The only way that the snapshot exclusion works is
if the filelist uses the root G:\, not the G:\subdirs. So in this case,
the filelist looks like this:

NEW_STREAM
System_State:\
C:\
E:\
F:\
NEW_STREAM
G:\

But this particular system still has failures on the G drive with VSP on,
but at least VSP does NOT try to create a snapshot for the drive.

In ALL cases, making Norton Antivirus more lienient about disk activity
allowed VSP to remove the snapshot drives when it was done (realtime
scan files only on create instead of all accesses and told it NOT to
scan files open for backups). This second option is fairly new and I
have not looked into the details of wat that really means.

So, the end result for now is that VSP is completely off on this server.
I hope this clears up any questions anyone may have and perhaps give
some insight to what I've tried. I still have the open case with Veritas
to at least find a way to remove the snapshot drives without rebooting
the system, but that is currently the only option we have.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR