Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Weird Tape problem....

2003-12-09 14:37:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Weird Tape problem....
From: mclausen AT csit.fsu DOT edu (Matt Clausen)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:37:16 -0500
I've been having a lot of problems with tapes in my tape library lately.

Several media volumes have been getting frozen for a variety of issues,
so what I was going to do was bplabel them and start from scratch on
these volume sets. However, several of these tapes come up with the
following error:

"The requested tape was found to be unmountable on multiple drives"

This behavior follows my removing the media from all media pools and
from Netbackup as a whole (or so I thought). Then I would reinventory
the library so these tapes end up in my scratch pool and not in their
original volume pool. However this error message would stick around, and
the media server never even tries to mount the tapes. I've tried bplabel
and even tpreq so I can use mt commands to try and erase and retension
the tape. In each case I get this error message, which is quite
fustrating. My next step is/was going to be using the library itself to
mount the tape in the drive and run the mt command to bypass having
media manager deal with the tapes at all.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions on how to deal with these tapes?
I really cant believe that the media is bad, I've only had these tapes
maybe 4 months and only a handful of them have been used.

Matthew R. Clausen                                 mclausen AT csit.fsu DOT edu
Computational Science & Information Technology
Florida State University                           voice=850-644-0193
400 Dirac Science Center Library                   pager=TBD
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-4120                    fax=850-644-0098