Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: RH9 backups

2003-12-02 14:05:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: RH9 backups
From: crhea AT mayo DOT edu (Cris Rhea)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:05:49 -0600 (CST)
> From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
>
> Bull.  The reason Netbackup fails is that it's broken by design and is
> unable to function with RH9.  The reason Veritas refuses to care about
> the problem is that they can call RH9 an unsupported platform.
>
> The reason Veritas has failed to correct this problem affecting many
> customers, is unknown to me ... but IMHO probably includes something we
> often see today:  "quality" gets throw in the trunk, while marketing of
> new customers rides up front.  :-(
>
> cheers tomorrow, wayne

<SOAP BOX>

I agree with Wayne.  RH9 has been out since what, May?

We're moving *many* of our services to Linux-based systems (for many of
the programs we use here in research, the primary platform is Linux).

If Veritas keeps this attitude of limited supported (Linux) platforms
(and VERY slow adoption of new OS releases), we're going to have to move
to something else.

This whole mess of RHEL/Fedora/Suse/Chaos/... is only making matters worse.
While I fully understand the issue of development/testing/QA/support for
the multitude of Linux distributions out there, they need to get off the
dime and come up with a better way to deal with the Linux community.
(Heck, maybe they should rewrite all of Netbackup in Java like they did
for all of their GUIs... ;)  )

While I understand RedHat trying a different business model to keep their
people employed, we can't just move all of our servers to RHEL.
Over the life of the machine, the OS will cost as much as the hardware.
That's just not a viable option for those of us in the Research/Education
arena.

Also, as we buy new hardware, many times we need newer (if not the newest)
verions of Linux to support the embeded NIC/RAID/etc.  I had fits with
Dell's NIC hardware until the latest TG3 drivers.

So, as a customer, I'm caught in the middle and don't like it very much....

</SOAP BOX>

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25