Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups

2003-11-25 13:29:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups
From: jlangston AT northeastmedical DOT org (Jim Langston)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:29:24 -0500
Folks,

I'm pretty new to NB4.5, but I have a question to ask.  My environment:

W2K master server with robot and 4 LTO2 drives
W2K media server with 4 LTO2 drives

Right now I have ~ 1000 mailboxes in our exchange environment (Exchange 2000).
I have a policy set up to run a flat file backup of my Information Store, and
it runs in about 2 1/2 hours at a rate of 21k/second.  When I run a mailbox
level backup, the speed goes down to ~2k/second.  I started this backup at
midnight, and it is still running (backing up 108 GB) as of 1:25 P.M. today.
Our information store database is ~194 GB and will continue to grow while we
migrate users from GroupWise to exchange.

I went through the archives, and saw several scenarios similar to mine, however
I didn't see too many resolutions.

First question:  Is it normal for the brick level backups to run this slow?
Second question: If not, what are some of the ways to configure this to run
faster?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim Langston
Unix Systems Administrator