Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Experience with Large SUN media servers

2003-11-20 11:06:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Experience with Large SUN media servers
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:06:56 -0700
We have two Sun 6800 (32 procs, 64M RAM) running as media servers.  Big
enough?

We're sharing 8 LTO drives among a total of 4 media servers in an SSO
arrangement.  They 6800's media servers just so they can back themselves up
(they host a massive Oracle DB) - they don't act as media servers for the
dozen or so small clients that are scattered around.  Our Master/Media
server (v880) handles them.  I'm pushing hard to get them to install gigabit
ethernet on our master server but it hasn't happened yet - infrastructure is
no good for that.

More important, though, than the size/type of media server is how many
clients you have, the amount of data on each, and the logical proximity of
clients to media servers.  Throughput for simple clients is going to be
related to network speed, drive speed, media server congestion, amount of
data to be transferred and a bunch of other stuff.  Unless you're trying to
jam multi-terrabytes through a Sparc 5, the type of media server isn't on
top of the list.

-M