Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE:

2003-11-07 13:35:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE:
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:35:18 -0700
Yes, NBU frequency scheduler works based on a hierarchy, so if you have
Daily schedules that run every day, weekly full backups that run every 7
days and monthly full backups that run every 28 days, the scheduler will
be intelligent enough to make the right decision as to which schedule
should run, given the window is open.  So here's an example of how the
scheduler works (hopefully the formatting with the tabs makes it
through-if not let me know and I'll create a jpg or something).

Example
D1-Daily (every day)
W7-Weekly (every 7 days)
M28-Monthly (every 28 days)

S       M       T       W       Th      F       S       S       M
T       W       Th      F       S
1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9
10      11      12      13      14
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
X       X       X       X       X       X       W7      X       X
X       X       X       X       W7
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X
X       X       X       X       X

S       M       T       W       Th      F       S       S       M
T       W       Th      F       S
15      16      17      18      19      20      21      22      23
24      25      26      27      28
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
X       X       X       X       X       X       W7      X       X
X       X       X       X       W7
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X
X       X       X       X       M28

So if you take a look at this, what you basically have are open windows
daily for your D1 schedules, open windows Weekly for your W7 schedules
and open windows Monthly for your M28 schedules.  Even though you have
open windows for D1, W7 and M28 on the 28th day of the month, NBU will
basically request the schedule that is the "oldest".  So it looks at D1
and say, saw it yesterday, W7 saw it seven days ago, M28 saw it 28 days
ago, M28 has to run.

So now implementing the schedules as I outlined in the original email
would look something like this.  So I want all of my Weekly Full Backups
(W5) to run every 5 days, but to ALWAYS try to start on Thursday let's
say, BUT its okay to use Friday and Saturday as "make-up" days in the
event of failure.  As you can see if I open a window on Thursday and the
backups are successful when Friday rolls around the logic within NBU
says, okay, seen D1 two days ago, seen W5 yesterday (do not need to see
this again for 5 days), let's run D1.  However, if the backups fail on
Thursday, the logic says I haven't seen D5 now in more that 5 days, it
needs to run...same for Saturday if it fails on Friday.  Now if it was
finally successful on Saturday, the next time it will run is 5 days
later or Thursday.  And I use the same logic for my Monthly full as
well.

D1-Daily (every day)
W5-Weekly (every 5 days)
M26-Monthly (every 26 days)

S       M       T       W       Th      F       S       S       M
T       W       Th      F       S
1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9
10      11      12      13      14
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
X       X       X       X       W5      W5      W5      X       X
X       X       W5      W5      W5
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X
X       X       X       X       X

S       M       T       W       Th      F       S       S       M
T       W       Th      F       S
15      16      17      18      19      20      21      22      23
24      25      26      27      28
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
D1      D1      D1      D1      D1
X       X       X       X       W5      W5      W5      X       X
X       X       W5      W5      W5
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X
X       X       M26     M26     M26

Remember even if your W5 backup runs on say Friday, five days later
would put it at Wednesday, but since there isn't an open window for it,
the backup will not run until the next available window of opportunity,
which in the example, is Thursday.

I hope this makes sense...if not let me know...but this is a pretty
powerful feature with the Scheduler.  Hopefully I was able to do it
justice here.

David A. Chapa D Technical Advisor, Technical Marketing   ADIC
720.249.5836   david.chapa AT adic DOT com
Pathlight VX - Integrated Disk-to-Tape Backup - http://www.adic.com