Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fewer pairs = better dup performance?

2003-11-04 08:31:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fewer pairs = better dup performance?
From: Eric.Shafto AT drkw DOT com (Shafto, Eric)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:31:33 -0500
I'm using a Solaris master with a single Gbit HBA to talk to my tape drives.
I have read here (and it seems to be true) that there is a maximum aggregate
throughput of about 60MBps. Since I get a little better than 15MBps to each
drive, two pair of drives just about consumes all my throughput.

Right now I'm using three pair, and they are averaging slightly better than
10MBps. My question is, would I get better throughput if I cut down to two
pair, and (presumably) reducing the amount of shoe-shining?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer
statement and monitoring policy, please refer to