Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Client multiple IP addresses?

2003-09-25 13:50:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Client multiple IP addresses?
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:50:37 -0400
My (Solaris V4.5MP5) Netbackup has trouble with a client (Win2000) that
has 1 IP name (xxx.maine.edu) and 2 IP addresses (130.111.xxx.yyy and
130.111.aaa.bbb).  This client doesn't have dual network attachments,
but moves between areas using one of the IP addresses, then the other.

Netbackup times out.

The (Solaris, I guess) PING command results differ depending on the case
of the IP name entered!  (PING from other systems doesn't).

If Netbackup chooses the IP address where the client machine resides,
things should work (but haven't).  If Netbackup chooses the "wrong" IP
address, it must timeout ... but since things (such as client properties
on the client from the backup server GUI) stop there, I guess Netbackup
fails for this client setup. :-(   Anyone know of an approach to this
problem?

(The problem comes from the client having a permanent IP address at its
home base, but getting assigned another as it roams about the campus).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, wayne