Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can SAN Media Servers share tapes?

2003-09-25 09:06:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can SAN Media Servers share tapes?
From: Jesse.Gardner AT storaenso DOT com (Gardner, Jesse)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:06:27 -0500
Scenario:

One SAN-attached HP LTO Library.
The Master server is also the Robotic Control Host.
Five other SAN Media Servers share the library.
Each of these servers has their own policy, to back themselves up with their
own storage unit.
There are (for the example) 5 tapes in the library, all in one volume pool.
Each of the above policies uses the volume pool.

Last night I noticed that one of the servers was getting "unable to allocate
new media, storage unit has none available".  Available_Media shows that all
five tapes are "Active" and not even close to capacity.  Then the cartoony
lightbulb went on above my head.  Once a media server uses a tape, other
media servers can't write to them.  In a way, it kind of makes sense.

Is there any way around this?  Can two of my SAN Media Servers write to a
single tape?

Thanks,
Jesse