Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] add storage unit without rebbot of master

2003-09-24 09:17:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] add storage unit without rebbot of master
From: HP.Strehle AT gmx DOT de (Heinz-Peter Strehle)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:17:55 +0200 (MEST)
Ok, here it is how NBU works:

- when a new job starts, it creates a process named bpsched -mainempty
- bpsched scans for new stunits at start time and scans for changes at
existing stunits at run time
- as long as there is any bpsched -mainempty process, new stunits will not
be recognized
- if there are 7x24h running jobs, new stunits will never be recognized

The only workaround with no reboot of master server daemons is to find a
schedule window with no jobs active (no bpsched -mainempty) and then run the
command <nbu-install>/bin/admincmd/bpschedreq  -read_stunits. This rereads
the
existing media servers for new/changed stunits.

But: when there are no active jobs, you can also reboot the master server
daemons. I think as long as NetBackup acts in this way, it is not an
enterprise
backup solution.

Thanks to all who gave me input to this thread
Peter

Heinz-Peter Strehle
Stefanstal 27
87600 Kaufbeuren