Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO drive won't run at full speed

2003-09-16 14:22:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO drive won't run at full speed
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:22:14 -0500
--=_alternative 0064E96886256DA3_=

I'd agree with the use of iostat.

The NB admin console shows you an average KB/sec for the job while iostat
shows you at that time.

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 09/16/2003 01:13:55 PM:

> I typically use iostat (specifically, iostat -x 2), which will report
> KB/sec.
>
> --
>  Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
>  Unix Systems Group
>  Desk: 503-450-3374

If
> it's not the drive, where should I start checking for the error - media
> server, robot, or cables between?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alec Browne
> Systems Administrator
> The Institute For Genomic Research
>

> This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses. OIT/NDIS
-
> University of Minnesota

--=_alternative 0064E96886256DA3_=

job while iostat shows you at that time.</font>
09/16/2003
01:13:55 PM:<br>
&gt; I typically use iostat (specifically, iostat -x 2), which will report<br>
&gt; KB/sec.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Unix Systems Group<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Desk: 503-450-3374<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Cell: 503-701-0369<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Paul Boatman [mailto:boatm005 AT groupwise.umn DOT edu] <br>
&gt; Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 10:53 AM<br>
&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu; abrowne AT tigr DOT org<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO drive won't run at full speed<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Just curious,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What diagnostic do you run to check the &quot;real&quot; drive rear/write
speed.<br>
&gt; Also, can you do this diagnostic with Netbackup active ?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Paul<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Browne, Alec&quot; &lt;abrowne AT tigr DOT org&gt;
08/14/03
01:38PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; One of our seven LTO drives will not read or write above 1.6 MB/sec.
&nbsp;In<br>
&gt; fact, it stays at exactly 1.6 MB/sec while in use. &nbsp;Our other
drives average<br>
&gt; 10MB/sec, and spike up to 20+ MB/sec. &nbsp;I replaced the drive,
with no effect.<br>
&gt; We are using NetBackup datacenter 4.5 on a Sun V880 running Solaris
8. &nbsp;If<br>
&gt; it's not the drive, where should I start checking for the error -
media<br>
&gt; server, robot, or cables between?<br>
&gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; Thanks<br>
&gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; Alec Browne<br>
&gt; Systems Administrator<br>
&gt; The Institute For Genomic Research<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses. OIT/NDIS
-<br>
&gt; University of Minnesota<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
</tt></font>