Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 and ClearCase VOB backups

2003-09-09 13:47:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 and ClearCase VOB backups
From: stoffel AT lucent DOT com (John Stoffel)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:47:49 -0400

Joost> What I normally do for complex session stop- and start
Joost> procedures is to forget about bpstart- and -end and initiate
Joost> the backup on the client (fe by cron), including pre- and post
Joost> processing.

Joost> For this, you'll need these steps;

Joost> - Create a policy with the clients in them
Joost> - Create a schedule of the type "User Backup" in that policy with the
Joost>   window always open. This allows the client(s) to initate a backup.

Joost> Your script should do
Joost>  - lock, snapshot, unlock all filesystems
Joost>  - run bpbackup with the "-w 0" option. This will cause the command
Joost>    for backup completion instead of initiating and returning to the
Joost>    command prompt
Joost>  - do the post processing

Thanks for the tips Joost!  I've gone this route, but I've got a
question about how to specify which level to use in the backup when
running from Client system.

Basically, I want to be able to specify when a Full or Cummulative
Incremental backup is going to happen, so I try to use the '-s
<schedule>' flag to bpbackup.  No dice, it keeps giving me a 240 Error
saying no schedule is available.

I've got three schedules setup, one Full, one Cumm-Incr and one "User
Backup", but how do I know how much data will be backed up?

The online docs and manuals for bpbackup are useless.  Why they don't
allow client initiated Full or Cumm-Incr backups I don't know.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
         stoffel AT lucent DOT com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548