Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup to disk.

2003-09-04 10:09:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup to disk.
From: stoffel AT lucent DOT com (John Stoffel)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:09:30 -0400
Timothy> I am hoping someone could give me some information regarding
Timothy> backup to disk.

It works just fine, staging to disk, except for NDMP backups.

Timothy> I would like to perform backups to disk to another building
Timothy> (connected via 1gbps fibre) Monday thru Thursday and then
Timothy> perform a full backup on a Friday to tape. Does anyone know
Timothy> if Veritas Netbackup can write to disk?

Why don't you just stage *all* your backups to disk, and then write to
tape when you're done?

Timothy> Does anyone recommend any cheap NAS storage for this possible
Timothy> project? Is it worth doing?

I'd probably just put a media server in a remote building which holds
the disk drives locally.  We're using Zzyzx right now, though we've
found that DMP with VxVM doesn't work out of the box.  Cheap box, 16 x
200gb drives, dual fibre channel, etc.

I think you can even get it with a fibre interface for longer
distances, so you could even put the device in the far building if
your have the spare fibre, while keeping the tape drive and server in
another building.

Stage to disks all the time, then Vault (or do it manually, not sure
how) the disk images to tape when you're ready.

John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
         stoffel AT lucent DOT com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548