Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 and ClearCase VOB backups

2003-09-04 09:05:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 and ClearCase VOB backups
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:05:30 -0500
You can backup each filesystem separately with a separate class for each
and a separate bpstart_notify.<classname> for each one. One thing to
keep in mind: It may behoove you to use the backup strategy suggested in
the book to shutdown all ClearCase processes, then backup (or in your
case, break the mirror or make a snapshot), THEN bring up ClearCase
daemons again. Why? Because if your backup of VOBs, registry, etc are
done at different times and a change was made during the backup, your
restore could be invalid. Keep in mind ClearCase is a database!

Good luck.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> "John Stoffel" <stoffel AT lucent DOT com> 09/03/03 05:41PM >>>

Ryan> Curtis Preston's book _Unix Backup & Recovery_ has a chapter on
Ryan> this, and the scripts used in the chapter are freely available
Ryan> at:

I've looked at his book, but it doesn't cover the integration into
NetBackup like I want to have happen.  I'm already doing backups of
clearcase vobs via Legato without problems.  But I do apprecaite your
reply!

Ryan> Attached are some simple scripts for ClearCase backups running
Ryan> on Unix.  Note that the scripts on the website have unsupported
Ryan> flags to the 'cleartool' command that don't work on current
Ryan> versions of the product, but its fixed on mine. What you propose
Ryan> doing is different than what I've done, but this should get you
Ryan> started.

I'll take a look at your scripts and see how well they will work for
us.  I'm starting to think that just running the backups out of cron
is the way to go, so I can do all the pre/post processing on a
per-filesystem basis.

Thanks again for your help!

John

**********CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**********
The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
privileged and is intended for the sole use of the individual or
organization named above.  If you are not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, any review, copying
or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, is prohibited.
immediately by return e-mail and delete this message from your system.