Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cannot restore from tape.

2003-09-03 09:06:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cannot restore from tape.
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:06:31 -0400
I've seen this problem before.  Are your tape drives shared by multiple
media servers and if so, do you have SSO turned on?  It looks like the
tape was possibly overwritten and no longer has a valid volume header.

Here's what can happen:

In a shared tape environment, when one media server is using a tape
drive, NBU (with SSO) will issue a SCSI reserve command to the drive so
that it has exclusive use of the drive.  If it does not do this, other
media servers can interfere with the tape drive, possibly rewinding the
tape to the beginning while the media server doing the backup is writing
to the tape.  The media server doing the backup is unaware that anything
has happened and happily overwrites data it has already written.

Unfortunately, there were bugs in the implementation, and the SCSI
reserve wasn't happening.  If you're using NBU 3.4, make sure you have
installed patch 5 as the SCSI reserve bug still exists for HPUX in patch
4.  Not sure about NBU 4.5.  Also, make sure that the file
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/ENABLE_SCSI_RESERVE exists.  It's just an
empty file.

Of course, if you're not in a shared tape drive environment, the SSO
stuff doesn't apply to you, but you may have had another application
attempting to use the tape drive at the same time as NBU.

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator