Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAP_DB backups.

2003-08-29 14:13:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAP_DB backups.
From: bsprangers AT omniecs DOT com (Bruce D. Sprangers)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:13:08 -0500
Johan,

Contact your Veritas rep or reseller.  They should be able to provide
you with an eval key since you already have the module in your CD kit.
I agreee with Panos, the Legato method is probably using a SAP add-on
module.

Good Luck.

Tsiamis, Panagiotis wrote:

>Hi Johan,
>I don't think Legato Networker can backup a SAP (or any) database straight
>to tape without the appropriate add-on module (SQL_Server, or the
>SAP_on_Oracle ones). That was the case with Networker 6.1.3 I've worked with
>and I wouldn't think they changed that in version 7.
>The thing with Legato (unlike Veritas) is that they provide 60-day trial
>keys for all their products in the supplied media kit, so I would assume
>that your client is probably using a module for they SAP_DB in evaluation
>mode.
>
>The advantage of using an add-on module - assuming they have their SAP on MS
>SQL Server (and this stands true for both Networker and NetBackup) - is that
>they talk straight to the SQL Server using the Virtual Device Interface
>(VDI) API, so it's not really a surprise that Legato is backing up their
>databases faster (although the times differences as you describe them are
>really amazing).
>I would think that  similar principles are used with Oracle or other
>databases.
>
>For a proper evaluation you would have to try backing up using the same
>method (i.e. dumping the DBs on disk and then back them up - assuming you
>cannot get a key for the NetBackup add-on module) and then compare the
>results.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Regards,
>
>Panos

----
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
                                .....Jimmy Buffett
Bruce D. Sprangers
Technical Support Manager
OMNI ECS