Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup dilemma

2003-08-16 16:23:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup dilemma
From: chypolite AT acm DOT org (Cecil Hypolite)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:23:46 -0400
Hi all, I have a little backup dilemma and I wish to get some help on

I have to do a weekly full backup of a system that has 17 partitions and
about 500 GB of data. The backup will be done on the weekend, when there are
few other jobs running. Here are some specs:
network: 100 MB/sec (12.5 MB/sec)
SCSI-2 connection : (40 MB/sec)80 MB/sec (two drives)
Drives: 2 SDLT220's 79.2 GB/hr
Produce: Netbackup Datacenter 4.5

It seems that the network is a bottle neck as it can only transfer 45 Gb/hr
(3600 *(12.5 MB/sec) = 45 GB/hr)
With that network transfer speed of 45 GB/hr I should be able to back this
500 GB of data within a 12 hour window (11.2 hours to be exact), are my
calculations correct?

-Also since the network transfer speed is only 45 Gb/hr I should not
implement multiplexing, as one of the drives will start "shoe shining"
because the network cannot sustain a transfer rate of 79.2 GB.hr. Is this
correct?

Thank you,
Cecil Hypolite