Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Temporarily suspend scheduler?

2003-08-14 15:14:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Temporarily suspend scheduler?
From: gbos AT uoguelph DOT ca (Gerrit Bos)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:14:29 -0400
We're in the midst of planning a Computer-Room wide shutdown for a
number of hours to do some major power restructuring.  Part of this is
manually forcing a number of backups to go early in the evening window,
and then a planned shutdown sequence (including the backup master) prior
to the power outage.  What I am after is to stop any new jobs from
scheduling during the few hours leading up to the outage.  Has anyone
done this, and what is the easiest way to do that, while still being
able to manually initiate backups?

I have three possibilities in mind:
1  kill bprd (and bpsched if needed) and let backups finish.  I'm
worried that I then can't start a manual backup then either.
2  use bpclschedwin -close day to close the affected classes (maybe a
half dozen, not too onerous).  This may not be officially supported, and
it is not clear to me what
3 Let the classes start, and manually kill the unwanted jobs  (Dozens,
maybe a hundred, three times each)

Any thoughts?  Other ways I haven't thought of?  Thanks in advance....Gerrit