Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO2+Small Files= Netbackup is Slow!

2003-07-29 12:11:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO2+Small Files= Netbackup is Slow!
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:11:00 -0500
--=_alternative 0058E5DF86256D72_=

Hi,

I have been having slow small file backups with NB 4.5MP4 and our LTO2
drive. Small files get backedup at 6300KB/Sec large DB files get backedup
at 32000KB/Sec. It's actually a SUN L8 Autoloader which is a SUN branded
Adic FastStore 22 with an HP LTO2 Drive.

I have tuned netbackup alot (NET_BUFFER_SZ, NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS,
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and /etc/system). I'm running GB fiber nics.

I placed a service call with SUN. Sun's service tech explained that NB tar
is not very efficient at reading small files and writing them to tape. The
Sun managers list also confirmed this.

In the past slow backups have killed my exabyte M2 drives and i have had
to replace the drive(free with our maintenance contract) and the entire
daily rotation(Big $$ to buy new tapes). According to exabyte, the tape
get really used when it has to stop and wait for data. I'd like to avoid
this with our LTO2

Will NB have to ditch tar in order to improve small file backup speed and
overall tape reliability as drives get faster(LTO3)?
--=_alternative 0058E5DF86256D72_=

with NB 4.5MP4 and our LTO2 drive. Small files get backedup at 6300KB/Sec
large DB files get backedup &nbsp;at 32000KB/Sec. It's actually a SUN L8
Autoloader which is a SUN branded Adic FastStore 22 with an HP LTO2
Drive.</font>
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS, SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and /etc/system). I'm running GB
fiber nics.</font>
service tech explained that NB tar is not very efficient at reading small
files and writing them to tape. The Sun managers list also confirmed
this.</font>
my exabyte M2 drives and i have had to replace the drive(free with our
maintenance contract) and the entire daily rotation(Big $$ to buy new tapes).
According to exabyte, the tape get really used when it has to stop and
wait for data. I'd like to avoid this with our LTO2</font>
improve small file backup speed and overall tape reliability as drives
get faster(LTO3)?</font>
--=_alternative 0058E5DF86256D72_=--