Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem frozing second tape on backups

2003-07-25 04:24:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem frozing second tape on backups
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
What's actually happening here is that NBU is finding a tape without a
NBU header when it's expecting to find a NBU header.

ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE is used when NBU encounters a tape which it does
not expect a NBU header on and finds a format that it DOES recognize
(an unrecognized header would be basically the same thing to NBU as a
blank tape).

Therefore, in your situation, NBU is loading a tape which it expects
to have been previously labelled by NBU, but what it finds is
something else (ANYTHING else, it doesn't matter what).  There are two
main causes for this:

1) Drive paths are incorrect.  So when NBU thought it was writing to
   ABC123 it was actually writing to XYZ456.  Now, later when it
   mounts ABC123 "again" (in a properly configured drive) it
   encounters a blank tape (the "real" ABC123 having never been
   used).

2) Tapes have been moved around without running an inventory update in
   NBU.  Same thing happens as above.

First thing to do would be to confirm that drive configuration is
correct.  Empty all drives, then use tldtest (or acstest if you're
using ACSLS) to (physical) drive one.  Use 'mt status' to determine
which device file corresponds to that drive.  Ensure that NBU drive
configuration matches.  Unload tape TO ORIGINAL SLOT.  Repeat for all
drives.

Next, one at a time load all tapes into drives.  With exactly one tape
loaded, use vmoprcmd to determine what the interal tape label (RVSN)
is.  The RVSN is the same as the mediaID, and you can't change either
one.  You can use vmchange to change the barcode associated with that
mediaID to reflect the physical barcode, but the correct solution
would be to actually change the barcode to match the RVSN.

--
Larry Kingery
            ...Every morning is the dawn of a new error...