Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading the OS on NetBackup media server

2003-06-22 17:45:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading the OS on NetBackup media server
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:45:13 -0400 (EDT)
> Hi List,
>
> We are planning to upgrade one of our media servers from Solaris 2.6
> to Solaris 8.  This will require a reinstallation of NetBackup 4.5
> and also a patch install to MP4.  That piece seems straight forward
> enough.
>
> However, I am not certain how I should proceed with getting the
> media server's database and image pieces back.  My plan is to do
> something like the following:
>
>  - We currently backup (via the NetBackup catalog) the following
>  - pieces from the media server:
>
>       /usr/openv/var
>       /usr/openv/netbackup/db
>       /usr/openv/volmgr/databases
>
>  - If I (after the NetBackup install and patching) run a bprecover
> of the following files, will my environment be back to what it was
> prior to the OS upgrade?  Are we missing files? I realize I will
> have to save my bp.conf and other customizations, etc.  My big
> concern is being able to run restores from images that were run on
> this media server prior to the upgrade.

The upgrade will probably replace your st.conf, so you'll want to
reapply any changes immediately.  You may have to update /etc/services
and inetd.conf, which you can do with install_bp if you like.  You'll
also probably have to reinstall the sg driver stuff using sg.install.

BTW, the one file that you really care about is mediaDB (assuming
you've got the volume database host set to the master, if not also
include volDB).  Everything else can be recreated if necessary.

You might also want to update the client (media server) in the policy
to Solaris 8.  I don't believe it's going to do anything or matter in
any way, but it's probably wise to be accurate anyway.

--
Larry Kingery
         If man evolved from apes, why do we still have apes?