Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring MS-Exchange data from NetBackup

2003-06-22 12:29:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring MS-Exchange data from NetBackup
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:29:19 -0700 (PST)
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Brian Chase wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Jeff Maley wrote:

> > make sure you've set the class-type to ms-exchange in the 'specify
> > netbackup machines' interface...
>
> This was the first correct answer I received, but a number of others
> also responding.  Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.  Basically,
> it's selectable from the following GUI menu path:
>
>   Actions->Specify NetBackup Machines...->Clients
>
> At the bottom of the client tab, there's a selector for the various
> backup types.  MS-Exchange-Server is the one I needed to be able to
> access and browse the Exchange backups.

I'd amend this slightly for the benefit of others since I managed to
confuse myself this morning when trying to check the results of my
Exchange backups. The backup type selector is only present /some/ of the
time.  Today when I tried to browse my MS-Exchange-Server backups, the
backup type selector was gone (!!).

Here's the "Specify NetBackup Machines" window I was presented with today:
   <http://www.jarai.org/temp/nb-exchg1.pdf>

After poking around a bit, I found the option to select a backup type
from "Specify NetBackup Machines" only seems to show up after you've
already opened a restore window, as can be seen here:
   <http://www.jarai.org/temp/nb-exchg2.pdf>

Durh, what?

Possibly this is improved in 4.5, but there's a lot to be desired in the
GUI design of the 3.4 release, both on the backup client and administrative
side of things.  Even the command line tools have wildly inconsistent,
if not down right schizophrenic, conventions[1] for the option flags
used.

Bad developer, no cookie.

-brian.

[1] With the notable exceptions being the volume manager tools; they are
    well organized.