Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange 5.5 backup & restore

2003-06-13 12:56:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange 5.5 backup & restore
From: davida AT telephia DOT com (David Ashamalla)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:56:07 -0700
Perfect timing, I have just started testing my Exchange backups - using my
testing procedure for Arcserve.
here is the process:
        1) Install NT, to the same Service pack and patch level your
production Exchange server is on.  Your server does NOT need to have the
same name.
        2) Install Exchange, and patch it to the same service pack and patch
level of your production Exchange.  Be sure that the Org and site names
match your production server.
        3) Install Veritas Agent.
        4) Perform a redirected restore, as you would any other redirected
restore, but only restore the Information Store, *NOT* the directory.
        5) From the Exchange Administrator, run the consistency checker, and
tell it to create directory entries for mailboxes.  This on on the
"Advanced" tab of the server you are retoring to.
        6) If necessary, run eseutil to get the server back up.
        7) WHen you start the server, you have an almost perfect Exchange
server.

I use this process for mailbox level restores, whenever I did not have a
good Brick-level backup.

David