Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Writing files to tape in WINDOWS...

2003-06-06 13:31:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Writing files to tape in WINDOWS...
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:31:22 -0500
--=_alternative 0060448986256D3D_=

"The LAN group want it to run so that D:\ get 2 drives"...

what exactly are you asking (or better yet, what specifically are they
asking for)?

half of D:\ goes to one drive and half goes to the other?
stripe across two drives and have D:\ go to this "fast drive" because
backups are too slow?
backup all of D:\ to a drive and "mirror" this to a second drive for
redundancy?

If they are a Windows group and are familiar with another product, they
may be really asking "my backups are too slow, help me speed them up".  In
the past, the application they worked with (Arcserve supports this) may
have supported tape RAID, or RAIT as some vendors call it, and they may
have striped across two drives to speed up backups.

If they're asking for 2 drives because they want to "mirror" the tape
drives (as they did in the past using a previous backup app... again RAIT)
then you probably want Inline Tape Copy.  If you break the data on D:\ up
into two streams so each stream goes to a different drive (and it may not
depending on MPX settings), this isn't what they want.

You need to find out WHY they're asking for 2 drives and then you can help
them.

- Scott

"Rosamond, Travis" <trosamond AT uslec DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
06/05/2003 01:31 PM