Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 3.5, Solaris, SAN, DiskSuite problems

2003-06-02 14:52:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 3.5, Solaris, SAN, DiskSuite problems
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:52:19 -0700
Hi,

We're running into some problems trying to restore a system disk using
NBU 3.5.1.  The system is a V880 running Sol8, with a SUN SAN attached.
We have Disksuite set up both for the internal disks and for the SAN.
After restoring the system disk (which is not part of a meta device)
we see corruption of the databases of the meta devices on the system.
The way we restore a system disk is to do an alternate target restore
(to a running system), make the disk bootable, and then pull the disk
and stick it into the V880 (fixing the WWN on the fibre disk).  This
method of restoring works fine on our older SCSI based hardware (E250,
E450), and our newer fibre based hardware (280R, V880), except for
this particular system.  It's the only one with Disksuite and a SAN
attached to it.

Anyone else having difficulties using NBU to try to restore a system drive
to a SUN configured this way?  Would moving to VxFS help us any?

The machine is wating to go into production until we can sort this out.
(I'm glad we tested DR.  The gotchas with WWN on fibre disks would
have bit us.)

Thanks,

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935