Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Seagate LTO Drives/Fuji Tapes

2003-05-29 13:02:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Seagate LTO Drives/Fuji Tapes
From: cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu (Casey J Feskens)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 May 2003, Charles R Somogyi wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> We have installed a 3.4 DC Master (SUN V880 and L700 w/ 20
> Seagate LTO Gen1 drives using Fuji tapes). We have had excessive
> amounts of mangled tapes, stuck tapes and tape pins that are
> offset. We are at a recent drive firmware level but still
> experience these problems. We have never observed this amount of
> these problems with the DLT7000/8000 technology. Is anyone else
> having tape problems such as this? Is it tuning? Tape
> manufacturer? Drive Manufacturer?
> Any ideas? I know the manufacturers will just point the blame on
> one another.

I've been running Seagate Drives and Fuji media for almost 2 years
and haven't seen any problems.  Of course we're low volume (.5TB/week),
but I have had far fewer problems with Fuji than we did with Maxell
(lots of tapes frozen due to write errors).  Maybe you got a bad batch?

Casey Feskens <cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu>
System Administrator/Network Svcs. Consultant
Willamette University, Salem, OR